From the design feedback activity we did during class, every group paired up with a person from a different group and had a one-on-one discussion of the app concept we all came up with. We shared our prototype and critiques of what the person can do better. With that activity in mind, my group had several and similar feedback that included:
- Font size and spacing
- Pop up windows and confirmations
- Adjusting button placements
- Distinguishing where the app leads after questionnaire
- Differentiating color representation
- Distinguishing accessibility Icon meanings
With the popup windows and confirmation, an issue came up on purchasing tickets to an event and not see a confirmation screen of payment for the ticket. We fixed this by adding a confirmation screen. Another important critique that had to do with inclusive design was being able to distinguish the accessibility icon. Before, these icons were a grey color that can be easily overlooked because it was also at the bottom of the page. Our team decided to change the color to orange to pop out more and to show users if the event was user-friendly for a certain group of people.
What was most challenging about creating an inclusive product concept?
The most challenging part of creating an inclusive product concept was trying to figure out how our app will be able to include everyone without excluding any certain groups of people as well as what it can do to improve the human experience. We also initially struggled with filling out the given prompt that will in turn kick start our designs.
What part of this project did you enjoy most? What part of this project did you enjoy least?
With this project, I enjoyed coming up with the name, logo, as well as the UI design for the mobile app. Carpe Diem is a special name because it means to "seize the day". With that in mind, we wanted to create something that can help users make the most out of their days and to do the things they would love to do but have never heard about. What I least enjoyed about this project, was planning and finding the time to do everything in a week. It wasn't necessarily the worst thing ever about this project but it was challenging to manage. However, with the help of my team, it was bearable.
How was your creative process challenged by this project? What were the similarities in how you approached this project and other digital design projects? What were the differences?
My creative process was challenged by this project because the project was scheduled to be more fast paced. My team and I were put to the challenge of time management and putting out the best work we can do within the given time. The similarities in how I approached this project and other digital design projects was that I researched ways in which how I can approach the problem and planned out how to can solve the problem given. The differences from this project to other digital design projects, on the other hand, is that with this project, it had a purpose of having to do with inclusive design. From other projects, this project forced us to think of a design for the sake of not excluding any certain groups of people.
What new challenges did you face when communicating and prototyping your connected inclusive design product? How did you overcome them?
Some challenges we faced when we were communicating and prototyping our inclusive design product was that we found it difficult to try and come up with questions for the questionnaire that didn't directly ask about a user's position of accessibility, whether it be temporary, situational, or permanent. We didn't want to risk offending our users. The purpose of the questionnaire was to indicate what kind of person the user was to better recommend activities to them by the Carpe Diem AI. Our team overcame this challenge by getting together as a group and making it clear to not ask super personal questions that can indicate a sort of exclusion. Coming up with some somewhat broad yet descriptive enough questions to get to know a person became the best solution to overcoming our problem.
For this project, you had to simultaneously focus on the original concept, physical/digital interaction, and movie magic. How did you juggle those responsibilities? Which were your strengths? Which can you improve on, and how will you work on those areas of improvement in future projects?
I managed to juggle the responsibilities of focusing on the original concept, digital interaction and creating a video demo by sitting down with my team and planning out a set schedule of when we should have a certain assignment done by and how early we should start the next assignment. My strengths for this project was communicating with my team of what needs to be done and how things should possibly look. I can improve on being a bit better on scheduling and having my team and I start on assignments early on to save us the hardships of pulling all-nighters and staying up late. I can improve on this myself by practicing better work ethic and being more firm on schedule, whether it be for school or non-school related things. With this, I am slowing teaching myself to follow a schedule that I can follow and not stray too far from.